Sunday, May 31, 2009

Thing #5: Flickr


I found Flickr a bit overwhelming and a little confusing. I searched through many pictures; some that seemed more personal and others that seemed to be more of artwork for the public. I'm not sure Flickr would be something I would use on a daily basis. I used to be a language arts teacher before taking on an administrative role at Bendwood. If I was back in the classroom, I might use Flickr to capture pictures to help students start stories during writing lessons. I also loved to teach poetry; haikus being my favorite for kids to write. So, I found a beautiful picture of a flower that I might have used to have students write about sense haikus are written about nature.

4 comments:

  1. I think you have found a perfect use of the visuals in Flickr Creative Commons...writing prompts. I also see vocabulary development for young children by pulling various pictures with common themes...do you think that would be a use as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Flickr photos are great for writing prompts. Just wait till you get to image generators and you combine photos into mosaics --- you could do some really interesting writing activities with those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use Flickr with my students a great deal in writing and vocabulary development. My biggest problem is to move them a long while finding that "perfect" picture. They will spend precious time finding just the right one. I have had to use a timer with them while searching for images.... but who can blame them I do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your idea of using the pictures for writing prompts and inspiration for writing

    ReplyDelete